A hand painted 22K antique gold-on-green handled pitcher from Stangl Pottery. The pitcher is 12" in height, about 5 1/2" at its widest, and 3 5/8" at the base. The base is stamped "Hand Painted" "Stangl Trenton, N.J.," "Antique Gold 4053." There is some residue along the bottom rim from a protective felt bumper. Otherwise, the condition is excellent with no chips, cracks, or repairs.
The origins of Stangl Pottery began in 1810 when Samuel Hill founded Hill Pottery in Flemington, New Jersey. Hill Pottery produced utilitarian pottery and drain pipes and did so until the 1860s when Abram Fulper bought Hill Pottery and in 1900 renamed the company Fulper Pottery Company. In 1910, Martin Stangl was hired as a ceramist at Fulper. After a stint at Haeger Pottery, Stangl returned to Fulper and in 1926, became its vice president. In 1929 after the death of William Fulper, Stangl took over the company and renamed it Stangl Pottery, producing art pottery, bird figurines and hand painted dinnerware until its closing in 1978.