This index card used to be a gleaming white. The more stained, torn, and handled a recipe is, the more amazing it is in my humble opinion.
Mom's Bran Muffins
- 3 cups bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs (to make the recipe vegan, substitute with Ener-G egg replacer or make a flax eggs substitute. The basic ratio for a flax egg is one tablespoon of ground flax seeds to three tablespoons of water to replace one egg. To make the flax eggs, whisk in the water into the flax until it becomes gelatinous.)
- 1 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk (to make vegan buttermilk, pour 2 tablespoons of white vinegar into a bowl or measuring cup. Stirring with a fork or whisk, add 2 cups soymilk. Let stand for 10 minutes to form into buttermilk.)
- 1/2 cup oil
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Add the boiling water to the bran, stir together, and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients then add the bran mixture.
- Mix together the wet ingredients then add to the dry mixture.
- Add the raisins to the mixture then pour into muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure they are cooked all the way through. Bake a little longer if necessary.